Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Home...

The last thing that one wants to do after sitting on multiple planes for 14 hours is to sit on something actually more uncomfortable than a coach seat. The wooden bench that rested in the center of the Terminal C pick-up location was an uncomfortable, yet welcome resting place for me as I waited for my mom to pick me up. It had taken me nearly 10 minutes to lug the 160 total pounds of luggage out of the airport and to the second island from the door. Around 10 minutes later, the beige Mazda pulled up and parked in front of me. I hoisted my two large suitcases into the trunk and got in the passengers seat.

Fenway was there waiting for me. I could tell that he had grown in the three weeks that I had been gone, but I could have easily been mistaken because of his extremely bushy coat of hair. He rested at my feet as we made the drive back home talking about my flight, my trip in general and the fact that Mark and Lori were still in São Paulo. I was excited to get back to my house and see my room, which had been carpeted about two weeks earlier. When we finally pulled into the driveway, I saw my car now parked in the space previously occupied by my sisters Corolla. I had been trying hard not to think about the fact that she wasn't going to be there anymore. I on the other hand, had dug my roots deeper by spending a lot of money to renovate my room.

I dragged the suitcases up the two flights of stairs to my room. The carpet looked awesome, and felt so soft under my feet. I had never had a soft carpet before, and the tattered and torn indoor/outdoor carpet that had previously been there was gone for good. I managed to unpack and sort through the huge stack of mail that was piled on my desk. Its always an adjustment to return home after being away. Sometimes you are glad to be back, other times you are not.

Regardless of your feelings, there is just something almost mellowing about going back to everyday life. Most days for me are just a regime that at the end of the day, really doesn't hold much meaning. It was now time to really buckle down and figure out what I wanted to do with my life. This summer had been a whirlwind of emotional activity, and I had always been looking forward to the next step. The summer was over, and as far as I knew there were no planned "next steps". What happened next was my decision, but I wanted to make sure I used what I had seen and learned in Brazil in whichever direction my life may lead now. Knowing me, I'm sure I will continue reflecting on everything and I will be better off because of it. I'd love to go back and see my friends there and help again in the future, but for now I was home...

No comments: