Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Goodbye Falling Brick Road...

My eyelids fluttered open shortly before six o’clock and I found myself staring in the exact same spot that my pupils had fixated against when they first closed around midnight the night before. I hadn’t woken once, and the position of my body made it evident that I hadn’t moved either. The once throbbing feeling I had in my head was replaced by a light buzzing. It was nothing too severe and nothing that I hadn’t experienced before. I got out of bed and was surprised to see that William was not in the bed next to me. Hearing some noise from the kitchen I made my way down the stairs and found Uncle Mark cleaning the dishes in the sink.

We had a busy morning a head of us, and while Uncle Mark washed the cars and packing, I caught up on the blogs that I had neglected during the time I was ill. After I was caught up, I finished packing myself. Salomão had stopped by the house to lend us his car. Lunch with him had been cancelled the previous day due to Aunt Lori being at the hospital with me. He had went to the church the night before to see the progress and told Mark that he would be more than happy to give us a ride to the airport. He left us his car with us so Uncle Mark and I could bring the two Gols back to the rental place.

We had two damaged hubcaps and two tickets on our record for the three months of car usage, and although the language barrier was there we managed to get a clear message with the attendants.

NOTE: As I am writing this a rude woman just put her seat back and whacked the screen of my computer. We are still supposed to have our seat backs up.

We returned to the house on Lobster Road, where bricks had fallen, alarms had screamed, water had flooded, a pool had turned a dull gray and where a Gamba would frequent nightly. Luciano, his wife Rosa, son Lucas and another friend were waiting for us when we returned. Solomon arrived to take us to the airport, the suitcases were in the Comvee and now it was time to say goodbye to Inacia. This goodbye was very emotional. Lori had saved her from a hostile relationship with her other employer, and she felt like her family was leaving her. We all hugged and prayed, then loaded the Comvee and other cars to head to the airport. This would likely be the last time we would ever be at the House on Lobster Road, also known as the House of Horrors...

No comments: