Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Plan B...

I had been so tired when I went to bed on Monday night that I had forgotten to set my cell phone alarm clock. When I woke up in the still relatively dark bedroom the next morning, I was shocked to see that it was 10:45! I quickly got up and showered, and then talked with Aunt Lori about that afternoon. My original thought was to take the stuffed animals that I had brought with me to the Children’s cancer hospital that she had heard about. She tried in vain to get in touch with Washington, the Buggy driver who had told her about it, to find out exactly where it was.

Plan B was to go in search of more products that she needed to buy before she went home. Since I also needed to go to the Centro de Tourismo before leaving Brazil, I thought it would be wise to go along with her. Uncle Mark came back for lunch and told us about his progress of the morning. He had finished the second wall cabinet, and his goal for the afternoon was to install the remaining cabinets and begin working on the doors for them all. The counters were ordered, and Luciano was set to handle that project once they were made and ready for install.

Caroline and William opted to stay home with Inacia that afternoon while Mark went to the Planalto and Aunt Lori and I went to the tourism center. We arrived at the old prison that overlooked the beautiful Caribbean like ocean after first stopping at the rental car facility to make a payment and the currency exchange place. We immediately went to work looking at product for Va Livre and over the next few hours had picked out some great stuff. Because of the quantity that was being purchased, they gave her a discount on the final price. I did some shopping of my own before leaving, trying to make up for not buying anything during my first trip here.

We had a mild adventure on the way home. Aunt Lori decided to see if she could get back to the house going a new way. After making many left hand turns that brought us back to where we had started we found our way to the coastal road that bypassed all the traffic on the way to Ponta Negra. It was just about 7:00 at this point and Uncle Mark still was still not home. This meant that Inacia had stayed an extra two hours past her normal quitting time. Caroline came out to find out where we had been and informed us of the awful afternoon she had and the migraine “the size of a meteor” that she was currently experiencing. Aunt Lori offered Inacia a ride home and Uncle Mark pulled in shortly after they left for the Planalto.

People had showed up to help at the hall that afternoon, and with the help and hard work of so many, they were able to get a lot accomplished. Uncle Mark had hung the cabinets and had started on the doors, while Luciano led the others in cleaning and painting the roof tiles, painting the outside of the hall, and laying the new tile for the steps. William and Caroline went to bed earlier than normal, while Uncle Mark and Aunt Lori just relaxed together in the living room.

I on the other hand stayed in the dining room until after 11:00 that night. I had set some time apart for working on things that needed to be done for work, and I did just as I had planned. After I finished that I worked on a few other things before deciding to call it a night. As usual I was the last person up, so I ensured the doors were locked and the lights were off before making my way to my bed and slipping under the covers. I may have only been up for about 12 hours, but I sure was tired…


The Car Rental Place

Aunt Lori Looking at Product

No comments: