Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Newark State of Mind...

I don't know which travel agent in their right mind would book an itinerary that included an 11 hour layover in Newark, NJ. I may have been able to understand a city like Washington D.C., Philly or even the Big Apple, but Newark. What historical significance does Newark, NJ have on the world...on this country for that matter? It sounds as if it was named by a man who drank himself silly and just said New York with his slurred speech. While it may not be much on the eyes, or the nose for that matter, this thriving metropolis is home to the east coast hub for Continental Airlines. The only positive thing about waiting in Newark versus anywhere else is the fact that I have family here!

Uncle Paul graciously picked me up shortly after my 49 minute flight from Boston landed and we went to a diner for lunch. After scoffing down a Mediterranean wrap, I stopped by my old stomping grounds at Paymedia, where I completed my marketing internship nearly two years before. I spent most of the afternoon catching up with old friends and reminiscing about past time period.

After my visit there I headed back to Uncle Paul's and took a tour of his new addition. Usually one would not need to tour a measly addition to a home, but they had completely changed the layout and it was like a completely different house. The room where I had spent a summer was no more. The hard work that Paul and Maria had put into the project had paid off and it is coming along quite nicely. The plan was to rendezvous with Uncle Mark, Aunt Lori, Caroline and William at the airport around 6:00 and possibly grab a bite to eat. This of course was depending on timing, since we had to be on board the plane to Sao Paulo by 9:20 PM. The journey had only begun and it would still be another 20 hours until we would reach our final destination of Natal...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you know newark was also the old name of niagara-on-the-lake! who woulda thought?

Anonymous said...

One of our chinese exchange students had to stop off in Newark, apparently its a pretty common spot to stop in!