Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Mothman Prophesies...

Each bedroom having its own bathroom is convenient in every possible way, except when you share a room with William, who needs to use it every morning at 6:30 like clockwork. Once I am woken up it is difficult to fall back asleep, so I went outside to the nice table on the patio which we have deemed "the office" to check my morning E-mails. I checked the weather for the day, which I had also done the night before. Apparently I am not the only one lacking skills in meteorology, seeing as the good people at weather.com also don't seem to have a clue what the weather will be down here. The night before I had thought that it would be rainy for the larger portion of the day, but now the screen in front of me was projecting "mostly sunny and 87 degrees". I certainly wasn't going to complain, except it makes it difficult to plan anything if you don't know the weather conditions.

Everyone went about their morning business while I began working on my project of finding rules, positions, field terms, common phrases and equipment of baseball in Portuguese to develop the instructional booklet for the many that are interested in learning how to play. After a delicious lunch of fish, pasta and beans, Mark, Lori, and Caroline went off to the Planalto while I agreed to watch William while finishing my booklet, which I had to say was coming along much better than originally planned. Translations are not easy and one can not really trust what you find on babblefish or any other online translator.

With a game like baseball that is not common in Brazil, especially in the poorer areas, many terms like "home run" and "fly ball" just use the English terms, which makes things a little bit easier. In my third or fourth hour of working on the booklet, I could tell William was getting restless. I could hear the monkeys somewhere close by, so I told him to go get the Papaya out of the fridge. One monkey was standing century for the others, and he immediately saw it when Will put the fruit on the wall. He waited till he thought it was clear and then in a "chirp chirp" form of communication, which sounded strangely familiar, called his other friends over for a snack. They were about six or seven feet away from us and William went to work snapping some photos.

Meanwhile in the Planalto, Mark had met with Salomão to look at the hall and to take measurements and determine what was needed for supplies. The two of them headed off to some "hardware" and "construction" locations that Salomão knew to price things and see what type of deals he could get. Salomão is a barterer second only perhaps to the great Maria Procopio, whose haggling techniques are known throughout three separate continents, and he was able to find some custom made windows and a new front door for the hall for a very good price. They ordered other supplies that were needed, and he lent Mark his pressure washer to take the dirt, mud, and chipped paint off the outside of the hall.

Caroline worked in the cooperative again and finished her second project, while Aunt Lori went throughout the neighborhood and distributed all the tracts that she had with her at the time, almost 600. Mark was late coming back with Salomão from the stores, and when he finally returned they needed to go to the supermarket to get more juice, seeing as the cartons we had purchased on Saturday were all made with soy. They didn't get home until almost 8:30.

I finished my project at about 6:00 and put it on my pen drive to bring to a copy center the next day. William and I were getting hungry at about 7:00, so I made him a smoothie with the maracuja (passion fruit) ice cream, some acerola pulp for a little bite and some water. The reluctant lad was presently surprised with the taste, and disappointed I had only made enough for him to have one glass. It would have been better if some fruit juice had been added, but I wasn't about to risk ruining my concoction by adding a soy product to the mix. I sat on the couch to read, which I did until William brought a disturbing fact to my attention. It sounded as if someone was upstairs.

There was a light banging on the door, and I went up to see what it was. It wasn't a someone, but two “some things” doing a little dance. Two giant moths, one equip with an apparent needle or stinger were flying around. After seeing the stinger on one of them I decided it would be best to leave well enough alone and wait until later. When Uncle Mark arrived home, he attempted to kill the other one with a towel, but managed to only knock it out of the air. The either dead or unconscious body of the insect was never discovered, even though William and I spent a good 20 minutes looking for it before we went to bed. The second month which I shall call Robert Redford, after the role that he played in the movie "The Sting", also had disappeared, and his whereabouts continues to remain unknown. I feel as if I should give Robert Stack of Unsolved Mysteries a call to see if this Brazilian moth can be located "If you or anyone you know, knows the ware bouts of this dangerous fugitive call the Unsolved Mysteries hot line at 1-800-Solve-It".

After everyone had a late dinner of pasta soup, which Uncle Mark decided was missing the very important ingredient of "taste" it was time for bed. Weather.com had predicated an 80% chance of rain the next day. I guess I forgot to incorporate the fact that an 80% chance that it would rain also meant a 20% chance that it would not. With the accuracy of those weathermen, I decided to take a chance and put my bet on the "long shot"...



Monkey's Eating Papaya on the Wall...They Look Familiar Don't They?

Some of the Materials that the Co-Op has Compleated

No comments: